I’ve always loved making “barbecue” baby back ribs, it’s messy and yummy. However I do think that it shouldn’t be called BBQ as it is oven cooked. This recipe is a product of laziness. My excuse is “it was too late to go to the shop to get the exact ingredients” knowing that there is a 24/7 shop on the High Road. So, I tweaked it and used whatever I’ve got. It came out well and yummier 🙂
Try it out if you dare 😉
- 1 or 2 rack of ribs
- 1 tbsp mead ( or use dry sherry or cider vinegar)
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp worcester sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- dash of salt
- Place ribs in non-reactive, plastic bowl with lid
- In separate bowl, combine sugar, mead, soy sauce, worcester sauce, garlic and ketchup and salt, mix well and pour over the ribs.
- Cover the bowl and shake well t coat ribs thoroughly. Marinate for 4 hours or longer. Shake once or twice to coat the ribs with marinade again.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C. Place ribs in a non-stick roasting pan or one with rack so the ribs won’t stick, pour over the marinade and coat it again.
- Cover the roasting pan with aluminium foil and bake for 30-45minutes (this will make it tender)
- After 30-45 minutes, take off the cover, coat the ribs again with the marinade and juices and put back in the oven for 20-30 minutes for the top side side and 20 minute for the other side. Keep an eye on it and make sure the sauce won’t dry out. If it does, just add 1/4 cup water.
- Serve with roasted vegetables, rice or potatoes or salad.
- If you to use a fresh sauce, combine the marinade ingredients together and simmer until it is thick (caramelised).