Your bananas have been neglected, there are dark patches on the skin already and the top bit is dry. Don’t throw them away, if the inside is still bruise free (or only have small bruises), then you can make a cake!
This recipe serves 4-8
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed (32p)
- 125g butter (65p)
- 150g caster sugar (25p)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (option, take out if you don’t want it)
- 1 egg beaten (13p)
- 190g self raising flour (10p)
- 60ml milk (2p)
- Heat oven at 170˚C/ Fan 150˚C.
- Grease and line a loaf tin.
- Melt butter, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan over low-medium heat.
- Remove from heat and add mashed bananas. Mix well.
- Add egg, mix well.
- Stir in flour and milk. Mix.
- Pour into the tin, sprinkle a tablespoon of brown sugar if you like some crunched texture.
- Cook for 35 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool and enjoy.
Total cost: £1.65 or 41p per serving. Prices 29/03/2017