I thought looked easy to make. However, it required a lot of adjustments, especially when making the “churro bowls”. I will explain below. One thing is sure though: I do not enjoy peeling apples. This recipe makes 8 churro apple pies.
Needed for churro bowls:
- oil spray
- 1 roll ready made puff pastry (320-350g), thawed
- muffin cases
Ingredients for apple filling:
- 25g butter
- 6 peeled, cored and chopped apples, I used gala apples for this one.
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sweet cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 200˚C/400˚F and spray the muffin tin with oil. Roll out the puff pastry and cut out 3.5″ to 4″ circles. I used a 3.5″ egg ring for my circles.
- Place the pastry in the muffin tin, making bowl shapes. Place a muffin case on top of the pastry followed by ceramic beans.
- Bake until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool and set aside.
- Make apple filling: In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add apples, sugar, lemon juice, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Simmer and stir constantly until the apples are soft and caramelised, about 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Fill churro bowls with apple filling and serve.